Texas LTC-101 Form
After you successfully pass the approved online examination you will receive an Online/Handgun Proficiency Training LTC 101 form.
Can this be completed online?
Yes, an applicant may receive LTC online training through an Approved Online Course Provider who has been approved in Texas.
What topics are covered during this LTC Class?
The course must cover the four (4) statutory required topics. These include:
- Laws that relate to weapons and the use of deadly force,
- Handgun use and safety, including use of restraint holsters and methods to ensure the secure carrying of openly carried handguns,
- Non-violent dispute resolution,
- Proper storage practices for handguns with an emphasis on storage practices that eliminate the possibility of accidental injury to a child.
How long does this training take?
This training typically takes ~4 hours to complete. Most online providers allow you to pause training and resume at your convenience.
What will I receive after I take the course?
Once you have successfully completed your online training, you will receive a signed Online/Handgun Proficiency Training (LTC 101) form that you will submit with your application.
Apply with Texas Department of Public Safety
In addition to the above training, you will need to submit the following online application. Be prepared to provide the following:
- Valid driver license or identification card,
- Current demographic, address, contact, and employment information,
- Residential and employment information for the last five years (new users only),
- Information regarding any psychiatric, drug, alcohol, or criminal history,
- Valid email address
How much does it cost?
The State of Texas currently charges $40 for both first time LTC applicants as well as renewals. There are discounts for those that meet certain special conditions. For complete list, click here.
Are fees refundable?
How long does this take?
This process typically takes about 20-30 minutes to complete.
Will I need a gun to complete this training?
What topics are covered during the proficiency demonstration?
Is the training difficult?
After I complete everything, how long until I get my license?