Texas LTC Handgun License Benefits
Benefits of a Texas Handgun License
House Bill 1927 (Permitless Carry) does not repeal the License to Carry a Handgun Program, established by Government Code, Chapter 411, Subchapter H.
The department is still required to process applications, conduct background checks, and produce a laminated license for those who qualify.
(House Bill 1927 is effective September 1, 2021.)
|Topic||Benefits With Handgun License|
|Carry on a Premises|
- Airport: License holders have protections related to the accidental carrying of a firearm in the secured area.
- Business: Businesses may choose to allow licensed carry on their premises.
- Government Meetings: License holders can carry in a meeting.
- University Campuses: License still required to carry on university campuses; “Campus Carry” is unchanged.
- $40.00: Valid for five years ($8.00 per year).
- License can be used as an alternative to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) check.
- Instructor: ID can be used for proof of certification as a Texas Handgun License instructor.
- Judge/Prosecutor: ID can be used for identification purposes.
- Veteran: ID can be used to obtain discounts at local establishments offering discounts to veterans.
- Personal Identification: The license must be accepted by most businesses as a valid form of personal identification.
- Voter ID: The license is a designated document for voter ID.
- Texas Handgun License holders can carry firearms in states where Texas has a reciprocity agreement or state law recognizes the Texas Handgun license.
- A list of states with reciprocal agreements/state law recognition with Texas can be found at the following link: State Reciprocity Information.
Includes the states of Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
- Required to apply for a Handgun License.
- Conducted by a licensed Texas Handgun Instructor.